Saturday 2 October 2010

Journey of a fresco (or fresque- since we're in Switzerland)

The main reason I was invited over to Switz was because they need someone to paint a fresque as part of the exhibiton.
The wall is 15m x 6m so we had to use 2 scaff towers to grid it up and mark it up.
Dont drop the string!!!!
The reference was of a desert but the scenographers wanted it to look like it was downloading so I there were lots of pixels to give this effect.
i first started out with the original photograph of the desert, this way I could cover the canvas and have a really good base...

next I began to add in the pixels.
i made up a square template from cardboard which measured 25x25cm. my boxes on my grid we 1x1m so the all I had to do was line up a corner of the templte to the corner of my.
for bigger gropus of pixels, I used masking tape...

the final stages were adding the black at the top. it made a HUGE difference once tis was added in and seemed to bring the whole thing together...

as a last minute idea, we thought it would be good if some of the pixels extended onto the other wall to give a feeling as if the image was coming together and the pixels were flying into place...
the final piece...
The entire thing took three weeks, with two people working on it for the first two weeks, then my self for the last week doing some final touches and finer details.
I think its the biggest thing I've worked on, on my own so it was challanging but I'm pleased with how it looks.

No comments: